General Information About Service Fees
…The laborer is worthy of his wages.
I Timothy 18b
EACH AND EVERY project I’ve worked on has demanded its own unique schedule. There are no two alike. Therefore, I’ve established a BASIC FEE outline and then discuss specifics with the individual client.
- BASIC HOURLY RATE for most book projects = $35.00 per hour (All hourly rates are calculated on the ¼ hour.)
- Shorter works—such as poetry—could fit the hourly rate of $15.00 per hour.
- Without photos or illustrations (straight typing & basic formatting only) = $12.00 per hour.
- If research for illustrations and/or more complex work needed with photos, the average hourly rate = $20.00 per hour. This usually applies to Memoirs.
- The FIRST HOUR (consultation hour) is FREE. This may be a face-to-face meeting or a telephone conversation. It may also extend to a sample of how I work with (edit/critique) a page or two of the author’s material.
- Lengthy projects (50,000 words or more) can be considered for a FLAT RATE FEE:
- Begins at $8,000.00…on up, depending on the specific project and length of time estimated to be involved.
- Half is due at the beginning of the project
- Remaining payment is scheduled monthly throughout the completion of the project and may be adjusted should the Author create additional material.
- ALL PAYMENTS are due within 30 days of the Date of monthly Statements and/or at the time of signing the Working Agreement depending on the type of payment due.
- FOR THE MAJORITY OF PROJECTS, A ONE TIME RETAINER FEE of $250.00 is accepted at the signing of the Working Agreement. This allows both author and writer/editor to agree they are serious about seeing this work through to completion. This fee is not refundable and not applicable to the specific hourly rate.
- TAX DEDUCTIBLE?
- If your piece is being prepared for a business-related project or ministry, these services could be tax deductible. Check with your CPA.
- Office newsletter (community newsletter…etc.)
- Instructional book (how-to, topics for classroom presentations, etc.)
- Charity promotions (poetry from Aids patients, true stories from the mission field, etc.)
- Ministry-focused books and materials.